When I got back from my study abroad program in mid-June, I set some goals for the summer. Here are my initial goals and how they matched up to reality this summer:
- Get a job (one for the summer in Tucson and find one for the fall on campus): I got not one, but two jobs over the summer plus an unpaid internship. By sophomore year, I had two on campus jobs and after being in touch with my employers, I think I’ll be able to get them both back.
- Organize my laptop (delete old documents, organize pictures, etc.): This kept me busy on the plane. I’ve sorted all my pictures and deleted all my old documents, I just have to go back and delete pictures when I have time.
- Go through my clothes (studying abroad made me realize how little I actually wear): I got rid of a lot of junk and will probably be getting rid of a whole lot more before I move.
- Start thinking about what needs to be done for my visa (to move back to the United Kingdom): I’m considering going for a master’s degree to get a (part-time) student visa or working. Indeed has a great resource for jobs that offer work sponsorship, but as it’s too far in advance, I won’t be able to look into jobs until Christmas at the earliest.
- Listen to new music: I’ve listened to at least a dozen new albums this summer, I’m usually pretty bad at listening to new music, but I was getting a bit bored with my music and needed a breath of fresh air.
- Read for half an hour a day: Although I didn’t stick to this well most days, I did get a chance to read a lot, finishing two books this summer.
- Paint more frequently: I painted a grand total of less than five hours, but hey, it’s more than I have in the last year.
- Watch movies (particularly ‘classics’ I’ve never seen): I’ve watched a few “classics” I haven’t seen and was a bit underwhelmed, but I’ll keep trying.
- Hit the gym 3-4 times a week: It was hard to find time most weeks, but I did what I could when I had an evening off, even if it meant doing a few exercises at home rather than driving to the gym. Staying in shape will be easier once I go back to university as there’s a gym at my apartment site.
- Stay on top of language lessons (Italian and Spanish on the free language learning app DuoLingo): Straight up didn’t happen. Better luck next term.
- Watch documentaries: I watched exactly one. I hope to watch at least one a month from now on.
- Get into meditation, mindfulness and yoga (to help relieve anxiety): I borrowed a yoga book from the gym, but haven’t gotten a chance to read it. I did yoga a few times at the gym, but nothing sufficient. However, I do find it’s a great way to occupy my mind and stay in shape.
- Color in my coloring books for half an hour a day (to help relieve anxiety): I didn’t have many chances to draw with work, but it’s great to have them.
While work took up most of my time, this summer, I enjoyed reading, watching movies and shows, cooking and seeing my friends and family. I will set goals for the new semester soon.