I set some goals for the first fourth of my (final) school year at the beginning of August. Here are my initial goals and how they matched up to reality these last eight weeks:
- Volunteer more, particularly with animal shelters: I only got the chance to volunteer with the animal shelter once, but I’m doing a lot of other academic-related volunteer work for resume building.
- Stay on top of my reading assignments: I’m proud to say that I actually have been doing this quite well. There was maybe three class periods where I didn’t do the reading ahead of time.
- Work 15 hours a week (on average): I have been working as much as I can and it has averaged out to about 10 hours a week, but there’s not much I can do about that as we’re a bit overstaffed at both of my jobs at the moment.
- Get academic help as soon as it’s needed: With my busy schedule, it’s hard to stay on top of my professor’s office hours, but I do review what I can and meet with my professors when I’m struggling.
- Don’t watch Netflix before 8PM: Much to my dismay, I haven’t been watching much Netflix at all, actually.
- Go out with friends more often: I went out a few times when I could, but that’s all I can really manage at the moment. I much prefer a quiet night in after a long week.
- Get into a routine (particularly regarding sleep): I have a regular sleep schedule thanks to my busy life that wears me out. I truly look forward to going to sleep every night.
- Stay on top of this blog with at least one post a week: I feel like I have been keep up with this blog quite well with the except of the last week or so.
- Be productive between classes on campus: I have been utilizing every break I can, whether it’s 15 minutes or two hours.
- Read for half an hour a day: My coursework reading has been quite heavy, but I’m looking forward to reading for fun more!
- Listen to new music: I find the best time to listen to music is in the mornings when I’m getting ready and walking to class. I will try to listen to even more new music this coming term.
- Watch movies (particularly “classics” I’ve never seen): I get too distracted watching movies. I’ll get bored after 20 minutes or so and then when I want to watch it again, I’ll forget what I watched before. It’s a process.
- Hit the gym 3-4 times a week: I go when I can (on average, once a week) for about half an hour, but since I spend so little time at the gym and it’s right in my complex, I will really try to go more often next term.
- Watch documentaries: I’ve fallen in love with documentaries, I can’t get enough of them. I most recently watched Audire & Daisy.
- Try one new recipe a week: I’ve tried a handful of new recipes this term, but not one a week. I like to stick with what I know, especially with such a crazy schedule.
- Get into meditation, mindfulness and yoga (to help relieve anxiety): Unfortunately, I didn’t have much time for any of this.
With class, clubs and work, it’s hard to find time to do other things, but I’m doing my best. I will set goals for the new term soon.