The time is rapidly approaching! Let’s review what I have left to do before the big move from the last time I checked in…
- Finish work: My last day of work was Saturday, 26 August. It was a great opportunity and I feel so lucky to have the experience!
- Shop for things I can’t get in the United Kingdom: I have most everything I need, including melanin sleeping pills, which you can only get by prescription over there.
- Make doctor appointments: I have anti-depressants to last me until November, which shouldn’t be an issue because I’ve transferred prescriptions to and from the United Kingdom a few years ago, and a dentist appointment scheduled in a few days.
- Take passport photos: Done!
- Set up a bank account abroad: I can’t actually set up an account until I get there in person, as it turns out.
- Pay any final housing fees: My roommates have been really helpful in that they let me transfer money to them and they make payment on my behalf until I set up a British bank account. I’m all caught up with payments including the first months’ rent and I can’t wait to move in!
- Set up my English phone number: I’m waiting until the day before I leave to top up and activate my new plan so there’s no wasted time or money.
- Plan and queue blog posts for the next two months (particularly when I’m on holiday): Done! You guys will not be bored while I’m getting settled in.
- Several “dry runs” of packing: I have more or less laid out everything I’m going to bring so when I get back from holiday, I’m going to make sure it all fits and is within the weight limits between my two suitcases.
- Change out jewelry: The jewelry my piercer in Tucson did wasn’t quite right: my smiley ball screw kept falling out and I eventually lost it, so I had to get it re-pierced while on holiday and my nose ring is quite tight. I will go back to them when I return from holiday to swap out my jewelry.
- Tattoo appointment: My touch-ups look great and Sydney and I couldn’t be happier with our matching tattoos we got a few weeks ago. Big up to Fast Lane Tattoo in Tucson (especially David who did an amazing job making my calf piece more of less from scratch).
- Finalize my New York trip plans: I’m here on the second part of my holiday in Washington, D.C. and all is well! I will post detailed updates about my trip when I can.
- Finalize my trip plans and train for the Camino de Santiago: Not a whole lot of other planning I could do. I’m just going to wing it and hope for the best.
- Clean out room by donating things I don’t wear or use: Done!
- Order things I need for my house to pick up once I arrive in Brighton: A few days before I arrive, I will find a bike on Craigslist. Other than that, I’m going to go apeshit to Poundland for my domestic needs.
- Stay on top of my visa application: It came! Phew! The expedited service was worth every penny.
- Change the address of tickets I’ve ordered to my new address: Done!
- Familiarize myself with my course textbook: I partially skimmed its contents and read a few essays that look interesting.
- Create a monthly budget: Done! It looks bleak (even with working 20 hours a week and having the bare minimum expenses, I’m still £50 short a month), but I’m going to try to make it work with my savings.
- Apply for jobs in Brighton: I’ve decided to wait until after my Camino walk to start applying as I can’t really work until after my holiday, anyway.
- Get in touch with my Buddies: I’ve been in touch with my three international Buddies and am looking forward to meeting them!
- Bid friends and family adieu: I have final plans sorted out with anyone who’s reached out to me. It’ll be very bittersweet.
I can’t wait to start my new adventure!
Note: this is a queued post.