It’s that time again for a massive goals update complete with:
- 2018 goals revisited
- Autumn goals revisited
- 2019 goals
- Winter goals
Here are how my last year’s New Year’s goals went:
- Travel to three new countries: In 2018, I went to two new countries (Norway and South Africa) and also re-visited Spain and Luxembourg, so I’d say I’m pretty happy with the way this turned out.
- Travel to three new U.K. destinations: I visited Cardiff, Kew Botanical Gardens, the Scottish Highlands and Seven Sisters and passed through Portsmouth and Reading. Again, I’m pretty happy with the way this turned out.
- Attend one football game, one hockey game and one musical: Although I did not make it to a football game, I don’t regret not going as it never really grew on me. I did see a hockey game (Cardiff Devils) and musical (The Lion King).
- Visit home:My U.K. visa expired so I was home in time for Christmas where I am currently stationed trying to figure out my next move.
- Get a pet:Did not happen, but I don’t mind. I will keep the idea of a pet on the backburner when I look (hopefully) for my first place this year.
I have also set goals for my last few months of my time in the U.K., here’s how it went:
- Work 40 hours a week: More or less.
- Travel to one new U.K. city: Cardiff, Wales.
- See a musical: The Lion King.
- Travel to one new country: Didn’t happen.
- Read two books a month: Did happen! More or less… I read 25 books last year so that averaged it out.
- Complete a new T.V. series: I watched Dancing Queen and Travels with my Father, I especially enjoyed the latter.
- Apply for five jobs a week (until mid-November): I applied for all the jobs I can manage, but the universe wasn’t on my side.
- Blog for 5-10 hours a week: I was definitely in the lower end of this range.
- Watch more films: I watched more films in the last few months than I have all year. Some of my favorites were Crazy Rich Asians and Arrival.
Here are my big goals for 2019:
- Start my career: By the end of 2019, my biggest goal is to be in a job I like in my field (conservation biology). I really hope that’s not too much to ask for…
- Get a car: Being away for so long, I truly forgot how impossible it is to live in a lot of places in the U.S. without a car. This bit will probably be done in the next week or two!
- Visit three new countries: My brother and I are still in the throes of planning a trip to Southeast Asia and while I hope to travel to as many countries as possible then, that might not be realistic. If we cut that trip short, I hope to visit Mexico as I live so close but have never been.
- Visit one new U.S. state: I have only been to a handful of states in the U.S. and with friends scattered all around the country, there’s no excuse. I will likely visit my friend Lisa in Salt Lake City or my family in Montana.
- Visit three new southwest sights: There is so much beautiful and unique nature in the southwest U.S., I hope to explore some more of it.
- Read 35 books: I have been really enjoying reading these last few months and hope to read 10 more books this year than I did last.
- Get in shape with exercise and better eating habits: Since I’ve been home, I’ve been a juggernaut. I’m not used to having so much food around. That combine with my lack of exercise this year has put my health in jeopardy. I know this is everyone’s goal, but I don’t want to lose a certain amount of weight or anything like that, I just want to create more mindful eating habits, an exercise routine and feel better on the inside.
Here are some smaller winter goals I will use as stepping stones to meet my big goals:
- Find a job, even if it’s just part-time
- Apply for 10 career jobs a week
- Try the MeetUp app to make new friends
- Visit one new U.S./ southwest state/ site
- Watch more classic films
- Read three books a month
I will update my winter goals in March sometime, stay tuned!
Photo by Zain Saleem.
What are your biggest goals of 2019?