Right after my 23rd birthday, I made a 30 things to do before I turn 30 bucket list post.
Now a year later after just turning 24, let’s see what progress has been made…
- Have my own place. I’m still at a place where this isn’t my top priority. Maybe in my later 20s.
- Change my surname. My passport expires in 2023 so I will look closer at making that happen in my later 20s as well.
- Become totally fluent in Spanish. Obviously still far from it, but I’m getting better at practicing.
- Get a car. Done… twice. I got a car in the U.K. in June (2006 Ford Fiesta) and sold it when I left in December. It’s basically impossible to live in the U.S. without a car of your own so I got another car here, a 2009 Honda Civic.
- Double my tattoos. At the time of writing the original post, I had four tattoos. I got one in the last year (probably my favorite) and hope to get another big piece on my legs later this year.
- Get a dog. It will probably be a while until I can afford a dog and place big enough to house one. In the mean time, I hope to get a smaller, low maintenance pet like a rat, snake or cat.
- Read 100 more books. Since May 2018, I’ve read 47 books. I think I’m in pretty good spare to read 50 more in the next six years.
- Attend a dance class. For the longest time, I’ve wanted to take a dance class. I’m dismal at dancing, but I find it so fun and would love to learn properly!
- See 30 musicals in my adult life. At the time of writing, I have seen 19 with the most recent one being Chess for my birthday. In the last year, I only saw one, The Lion King, for me and Diego’s anniversary. I’ve been spoiled in that all of the productions I’ve seen have been massive, I hope to pick up the pace I can see smaller, local, more affordable productions of musicals.
- Complete the Fellowship Quest… because what’s a bucket list without something alcohol related? I’ll have to get on this next time I’m in the U.K., especially as I have a few friends in Hampshire.
- Visit six continents. Three down.
- Visit 35 countries.
18 down. 19 down, with Norway being my only new country in the last year.
- Do 150 dives. 35 down. I have not dove since my South Africa trip in April of last year, but I look forward to getting about 20 more under my belt with my Thailand trip coming up soon.
- Complete the Camino de Santiago.
- Go skydiving and/ or bungee jumping.
- Visit three more U.S. states.
- Take a holiday with one or both my parents.
- Go to a music festival.
- Spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square.
- Visit five national parks either in the U.K., U.S. or elsewhere for that matter! I visited one this last year, Channel Islands, and it was so lovely. Four more to go!
- Book an impulsive trip.
- Revisit five places. This is new this year, I hope to revisit five places I’ve been before, maybe with someone who has never been. Top of my list are Paris and Berlin.
- Be a published scientist. Now that I’m not longer in the world of academia, I’m not sure how practical this is. I love research and hope I can land a job that will help me get published.
- Become a dive master.
- Publish a book.
- Go to a conference.
“It doesn’t take a mathematician to notice that my 30 Before 30 list isn’t actually 30 items long. That’s because as it’s so far away, I would like some flexibility to add and edit the items.” – my last year’s post. I’ve added one new goal but hopefully I can think of a few more things to add for next year.
What’s on your 30 Before 30?
Photo by Elio Santos.