Right after my 23rd birthday, I made a 30 things to do before I turn 30 bucket list post.
I updated it last year when I turned 24, and now I’m updating it again on my 25th birthday!
- Have my own place. Last year, I said, “I’m still at a place where this isn’t my top priority. Maybe in my later 20s.” I still stand by this, especially with my job I got since my last year’s post. I work remotely half the year and it’s not practical to pay rent on a place I don’t live in for half the year.
- Change my surname. Last year, I said “My passport expires in 2023 so I will look closer at making that happen in my later 20s as well.” I still stand by this, too.
- Become totally fluent in Spanish. When I’m not on contract, I do well practicing with DuoLingo most days and hope to get an offline program next time I work in Alaska. I got by alright in Mexico, but still have a long way to go.
Get a car.This was completed last year when I got a car in January 2019! I even got a new stereo for her this Christmas.
- Double my tattoos. At the time of writing the original post, I had four tattoos. I got one in Brighton last year (probably my favorite) and I got a little Friday the 13th this past December, only two to go until I’ve reached this goal!
- Get a dog. “It will probably be a while until I can afford a dog and place big enough to house one.” This is still true more than ever. I look forward to having all the dogs once I get a big place!
Read 100 more books. Since the time of writing this in May 2018, I’ve read a total of 136 books. I think I might change this goal to 250 books: about 25 books a year. I think no matter how crazy life gets I can still manage to do it.
- Attend a dance class. “For the longest time, I’ve wanted to take a dance class. I’m dismal at dancing, but I find it so fun and would love to learn properly!” Anyone want to be my partner?
- See 30 musicals in my adult life. I’m at 20 right now and slacking. I’m hoping a worthy production will be in Seattle or Los Angeles and I can make it to some date of the Hadestown national tour!
- Read 30 classics. This used to be a separate post, but I’ve decided to include it in this one! I’ve read seven this year: Murder on the Orient Express, The Hobbit, And Then There Were None, The Alchemist, Brave New World, The Outsiders and Lord of the Flies.
- Join or start a book club. I love reading and I’ve recently wanted some people to talk about them with! Whether it’s online or in person, but I’d prefer the latter.
- Attend a cooking and drink making class. I’m what you might call “domestically challenged” so I want to get better at cooking and learn to like it.
- Continue to pay off debt consistently. I hope to pay off all my debt by 30, but as long as I keep paying it off consistently in some way, I’ll be content.
- See half the NHL teams play. I think I’ve seen about 10 play, so I hope to see at least five more play to achieve my life goal is to see all of them play!
- Visit six continents. Four down now with my Thailand trip, only South America and Australia left!
- Visit 35 countries. 21 down, with going to my dream destination of Thailand and Mexico in 2019.
- Do 150 dives. 60-ish down with a LiveAboard and intense diving regimen in Mexico.
- Complete the Camino de Santiago.
- Go skydiving and/ or bungee jumping.
- Visit six more U.S. states: My job is based out of Seattle (Washington) and has me working in Alaska. I drove through Oregon to get to Seattle in January, so that’s three, reaching my original goal! I’m going to make it a goal to visit three more states.
- Take a holiday with one or both my parents.
- Go to a music festival.
- Spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square.
- Visit five national parks either in the U.K., U.S. or elsewhere for that matter! I’ve only visited Channel Islands but hope to take a roadtrip and visit some parks along the Pacific Coast. Four to go!
- Book an impulsive trip.
- Revisit five places. Top of my list are Paris and Berlin.
- Be a published scientist. Now that I’m not longer in the world of academia, I’m not sure how practical this is. I love research and hope I can land a job that will help me get published.
- Become a dive master.
- Go to a conference.
I’ve removed a few goals this year; complete the Fellowship Quest (it has changed since I made this goal and I have no desire to visit Southampton again) and publish a book (I’d still love to, but to do it by 30 doesn’t seem realistic). I’ve also added goals, namely the last few items on my Lifestyle section, but still only have 29! I’m sure I’ll move some things around next year too. Until then, full steam ahead!
What’s on your 30 Before 30?
Photo by Viviana Rishe.
Andrew Lloyd Webber is streaming some of his musicals for free so look into that – you could tick a few more off your list.
How many “kids” do you want to have someday?
Such a great list! And I LOVE the see thirty musicals goal! Hadestown is phenomenal! I can’t say enough great things about the OG cast. I hope you get to see it! <3
I hope you can reach your goals! It’s great you started your 30 before 30 lsit after your 23rd birthday so you could include more long-term goals & it’s nice to see what you’ve accomplished so far!